"Personal information" is any information that can be used to distinguish, identify or contact a specific individual, except business contact information and publicly available information (e.g. telephone directories).
Children’s Miracle Network respects the privacy of individuals by protecting personal information and adhering to legislative requirements with respect to protecting privacy. Children’s Miracle Network values the trust of all individuals with which it relates and recognizes that maintaining this trust requires that Children’s Miracle Network be accountable in how it collects and uses personal information.
Personal Information Collected
During the course of Children’s Miracle Network's various activities, Children’s Miracle Network frequently gathers and uses personal information.
Children’s Miracle Network only collects information that is needed to administer transactions, conform to procedures required by law, understand donor interests and demographics, build strong relationships, and meet service expectations.
How Personal Information is Collected
Children’s Miracle Network collects information directly from individuals, their employers, by way of pledge cards, or referrals from others.
How Personal Information is Used
Children’s Miracle Network does not sell or trade personal information and does not "rent" out mailing lists.
During the course of Children’s Miracle Network's various activities, personal information is gathered and used to:
- administer transactions;
- conform to procedures required by law;
- understand donor interests and demographics;
- build strong relationships; and meet service expectations.
Personal information is disclosed or provided to third parties only in the following circumstances:
- Donor recognition - Donors may be publicly recognized by Children’s Miracle Network in various publications and events. If a donor wishes to remain anonymous, they have the opportunity to indicate this in the space provided on their pledge form.
- Third party services - in order to maintain cost effectiveness and provide a high level of service, services are periodically provided by third parties on Children’s Miracle Network's behalf. These companies enter into confidentiality agreements with Children’s Miracle Network, requiring them to protect the information while in their control and not to keep any personal information on file.
- Designations to specific charities - here a portion of a donor's gift is directed to a specific charitable organization, the amount of the donation, the name and address of the donor may be forwarded to the recipient organization. If the donor does not wish this to occur, they have the opportunity to indicate this in the space provided on their pledge form.
Children’s Miracle Network's Commitment to Information Protection
Personal information gathered by Children’s Miracle Network is kept in strict confidence. Confidentiality obligations are imposed on staff and volunteers who are authorized to access personal information based only on their need to deal with the information for the reason(s) it was obtained. Safeguards are in place to ensure that information is not disclosed or shared more widely than is necessary to achieve the purpose for which it was gathered. Measures are taken to ensure the integrity of information and to prevent its being lost or inadvertently destroyed.
Children’s Miracle Network secures your information from unauthorized access, use or disclosure. Information is stored in a controlled, secure environment, protected from unauthorized access. We use password protocols and encryption software to protect personal information that is received and/or provided through the internet. Software is routinely updated to maximize protection of such information.